Do I need a FAT SD card? Do I need OM? Do I need... ? Choices, Choices, Choices...

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Jul 20 21:02:55 CEST 2009

> Be warned, there have been some reports of the journal of ext3 wearing
> out its part of the SD card.

Actually, there haven't been any such report.  There have only been
posts such as yours trying to scare people away.

If you're a masochist, go for ext2 without hesitation.  Otherwise follow
the usual recommendation, regardless of whether the disk is made of
rotating platters or flash memory.

        Stefan

PS: Yes, there can be cases where ext3 wears out a flash disk a bit
faster than ext2.  None of those cases should occur on a smartphone.