New Open Hardware company

Warren Baird wjbaird at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jul 20 22:07:36 CEST 2009

Hi Steve,

Congratulations!  Sounds like a very interesting project.

The geek in me is say - "W00t - when can I get one!"

Unfortunately, the product manager in me is sounding a bit more like
Laszlo:  raising questions like:  What's the business model - are you
targeting end-users, or are you trying to convince someone to OEM the
design, customize it and market it to end-users?

Personally I kinda hope you are targeting OEMs, although I don't see much of
a mention of that on the website so far.    If you are targeting end-users,
it seems to me that you are falling into the same trap that OpenMoko did -
building some cool hardware, and assuming that the software side will
eventually happen.

If however you have one or more visionary OEMs who will take your tech and
build a compelling solution around it, that could be very interesting.   I
really believe that a device like this needs to have a seamless, well
integrated hardware and software stack to be successful.

For example, a device that a project manager inspecting a construction site
could take with them and use to record the results of a site inspection
could be very intersting.    I'm not sure that the nano-note is the right
form-factor for that, but something similar might work.

My day job involves creating software for visual collaboration used across a
wide range of industries - if you want to chat more about that, send me an
email off list...

Warren

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 11:47 AM, steven mosher <moshersteven at gmail.com>wrote:

> A while back Wolfgang mentioned that he and I were starting a new venture.Drop
> by and say hello.
>
> http://www.qi-hardware.com/
>
> Steve

Warren Baird - Photographer and Digital Artist
http://www.synergisticimages.ca