tangogps : updating tiles ?

Ed Kapitein ed at kapitein.org
Tue Jul 21 12:07:58 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-21 at 11:20 +0200, Xavier Cremaschi wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I have been using tangogps since the beginning of my Openmoko life (july
> 08), and now I've got lots of openstreetmap tiles stored on my microSD
> which cover useful areas for me.
>
> Does anyone know how I can update my tiles to get the most up-to-date
> openstreetmap info ?
> I don't care to re-dl all my tiles, but I don't want to download useless
> ones : my coverage is very specific, I have lots of tiles in order to
> cover cities on the coast (I zoomed and ask for a detail download of
> these cities), but almost nothing further in the land (not useful for
> me), so triggering a re-download of a huge rectangular area is NOT what
> I want.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
> Xavier.

Hi Xavier,

It might be as easy as this:

for TILE in `find /path/to/tiles -type f`; do
 echo "${TILE}"
 FILE=`basename "${TILE}"`
 L1=`dirname "${TILE}" | gawk -F"/" '{ print $NF}'`
 L2=`dirname "${TILE}" | gawk -F"/" '{ print $(NF-1)}'`
 curl --output "${TILE}"
http://tile.openstreetmap.org/"${L2}"/"${L1}"/"${FILE}"
done

curl and http are on the same line, you mail program might split in over
two lines.

Kind regards,
Ed