New Open Hardware company

Shaz shazalive at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 17:24:56 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 7:28 PM, Wolfgang Spraul
<wolfgang at qi-hardware.com>wrote:

> Christoph,
> wow I like your list!
> Old mistakes:
>
> #1 Believing in the community? No comment.
>
> #2 Not only do we 'announce' products that are not for sale, but in
> addition
> we have an open roadmap and design the products based on community
> feedback.

We (academic RnD) need a community effort and an effort that can compete
with iPhone and Windows mobiles. OHA and LIMO kind of efforts but that are
not as free as freedom and sort of not really open :) Can't this community
aim at working at that level like we have Ubuntu and Fedora on PC
platfrorms. So why not have devices that run FSO's stack and compete with
WindowsCE and iPhone?

Why do my team want to use Android and why am I considering running FSO on
HTC devices? I want to use something of the sort you guys make ... that is
truely open and promoting freedom but it needs to have a technological
competitive edge. And I think their are many who will think the same even if
we are not capable of influencing this community.

> #3 We don't need an MPEG-patent license because we don't want to play
> patent-
> encumbered data formats, and we will try everything to engineer around such
> patents. We want to have the best Ogg Theora experience out-of-the-box.
> The whole point of our project is to bring people together that believe in
> free software and free content. If you are not in that group no reason to
> be depressed :-)
> (I hope you spare us all another rant about Openmoko & Sisvel)
>
> #4 I'm not sure whether we 'aim VAR' or not. Maybe Steve does?
>
> New mistakes:
>
> #1 Dr. Schaller already called it 'vintage hardware'. I have to say I love
> this
> idea, even though the NanoNote hardly fits. We focus on freedom anyway, not
> technology.

Technology is future and freedom is what we all want. We want to survive as
well rather then be satisfied with freedom!

> #2 made in China - don't you think the naming is genius? I love the Ben,
> Ya,
> Mu and Guo series. A little Chinese class for all of us :-) If you can only
> associate China with crap, that's unfortunate indeed. The truth is, same as
> the FreeRunner, production of our devices will be in China for the
> foreseeable
> future. R&D in Taiwan.

Chinese products are cool ... depends upon the quality because they do make
quality and crap both :)

> #3 My Blackberry keyboard beats everything else. Not sure we get that good,
> but I take this as a valid point, we want to produce good quality.

This is technology.

> Thanks for your feedback!
> Wolfgang
>
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 02:44:00PM +0200, Christoph Pulster wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > my thoughts to Qi / NanoBook:
> >
> > Mistakes repeated from Openmoko times:
> > 1. you believe too much in the community.
> > 2. you announce products which are not exitant for sales.
> > 3. you got no MPEG-patent licences.
> > 4. you dont aim VAR.
> >
> > New mistakes:
> >
> > 1. you base on old-fashioned hardware
> > (Zaurus was state-of-the-art, a hugh community existed, although Sharp
> > did not give attention to it at all)
> > 2. you base on "made in China" (synonym for crap in Europe)
> > 3. the PDA clam-shell form factor is obsolete, there is no small AND
> >    useable physical keyboard
> >

> > Anyway I wish you best success with your effords, Steve, I really do.
> >
> > Christoph

Shaz