using a FreeRunner without cellular service

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen ccc94453 at vip.cybercity.dk
Mon Jul 20 18:42:35 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 01:06:21AM +0200, Nicola Mfb wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Rask Ingemann
> Lambertsen<ccc94453 at vip.cybercity.dk> wrote:
> [...]
> > Then it won't be turned on. Additionally, without a SIM
> > card, the GSM modem will refuse to turn on the transmitter and receiver.
>
> Uh! I really missed that! so not emergency call with no sim?

   I can't find it documented anywhere. The closest I have is this:

NOTE:	Commands which interact with MT that are accepted when MT is pending
	SIM PIN, SIM PUK, or PH‑SIM are: +CGMI, +CGMM, +CGMR, +CGSN, D112;
	(emergency call), +CPAS, +CFUN, +CPIN, +CDIS (read and test command only),
	and +CIND (read and test command only).

   Observed behaviour of the Calypso GSM modem is that +CFUN=1 to turn on
transmitter and receiver is rejected when the SIM slot is empty. But it
seems likely that emergency calls are allowed through by the modem even with
no SIM card in it if you go straight to the D112; command.

   Btw, who wants to bet on the existance of some silly phone app which will
refuse to dial 112 if it can't register to a network?

--
Rask Ingemann Lambertsen