gsm restart

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Wed Jul 22 12:20:03 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 21 July 2009 14:51:43 Petr Vanek wrote:
> i have been stress testing the fso-abyss now (uploading/downloading
> while on a train ride (unstable coverage) and so far so good, really.

Great, glad to hear it's been stable for you.

> It does tale some load though:
>
> PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
> 1498 root      20   0  3708  716  384 S  9.5  0.6   2:44.86 fso-abyss

Yes, that's expected, due to two reasons:
* I did not do much work on optimizing this code yet, there's debug statements
in etc. I will take care about that soon.
* Eventually, fso-abyss should not run as an own process doing the "forward
virtual serial lines over pty" thing to ppp, but rather as a library handling
the data from the virtual serial lines directly. This would reduce a bunch of
turnarounds and copies. It's a lot more work to make this happen though.
Ideally, we'd have multiplexing in kernel, of course...

Thanks for testing!

:M