travel-diary a simple GPS application

Christian Rüb christian.rueb at gmx.net
Thu Jul 23 15:49:55 CEST 2009

> > wiki page: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Travel_Diary
>
> Christian, well done!
>
> I'll be travelling on Monday and would like to integrate this somehow
> on my wordpress blog or something. Don't have the time right now to
> check but is the process documented somewhere (how to set up the .cgi
> script etc etc on the server etc?). In what formats can I get the
> reports out? Is anyone of you running this now somewhere, could you
> please link the URL?
>
> Thanks!

Hi Risto,

how about this - I try to explain to you how to set up everything and you add
this information to  the wiki page - this way it is written from a user's view
what might help other users :)

Get my CGI examples from here [1] and add a password file in the same directory
but make sure it's inaccessible from web through a .htaccess file [2] and
create a subdirectory data (this is where your diary files will be stored).

On your Freerunner you have to configure the send script (it's a really easy
shell script), to match your username/password and CGI script on your server.

So what happens is:
You execute the send script on your moko (using the button) and it will send
your file via curl to your server. The file will be stored in data/

The diary.kml file is a perl script as well that creates a kml. file (e.g. you
can link it directly to google maps). To make it work you have to define .kml
files as CGI in your webserver config [2].

What happens if someone "downloads" the diary.kml file:
The script is executed on your webserver and offers a real kml file for
download. So all you need to do is use the link to your kml file somewhere.

Just a note on the .htaccess file. It alows you to execute scripts in current
directory and tells your web server to execute .kml files. Access to passwd and
data are not allowed (to protect your data).

If you need any more help or I did not express myself clearly enough just let
me know. I hope at some point someone will understand what all this is for :)

[1] http://git.senfdax.de/?p=travel-diary;a=tree;f=server_example
[2] exmaple .htaccess:
Options ExecCGI
AddHandler cgi-script .kml