om2009/paroli status

Nicola Mfb nicola.mfb at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 10:01:47 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 8:40 AM, Mirko
Lindner<vegyraupe at paroli-project.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 24 Jul 2009, at 02:04, Nicola Mfb wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>> Is om2009 and paroli in a temporary sleeping status or was development
>> terminated?
>> Somethings changed in the last days and may be now there is less man
>> power to improve them.
>
> Less man power is the right way of putting it. There still is development on
> both projects but less than before. Laszlo is doing a great job improving
> things in paroli which I am very thankful for. There still is the plan to
> release a final version of Om2009. It would be good if we could assemble a
> list of problems in paroli that need fixing for the release.

Hi! Mirko,

I really like to see the final version of Om2009, so I'm happy there
is still the plan to release it. We need a "legacy milestone" for some
reasons:

*) we of course may choose between different distros, but the great
part are not easy to setup correctly while other are bleeding edge and
breaks things every week, we need to give a sort of "stability" to
users.

*) developers wastes their time doing self distro mantaining and
struggling with a fast changing underlying system, it may be better
that they will focus on code, instead of rebuilding software, caring
of api/library changes and so on. Om2009 should so take the place of
Om2008, developers may target it and support users in a "decent" way
instead of guessing problem that are distro related.

*) in this "dark" phase that will help the reorganization of community

Best Regards

p.s. good luck for the new job/company :)

    Nicola