[TI Calypso] I know it's NDA'ed but ...

Nekron dect at noordsee.de
Fri Jul 24 11:03:12 CEST 2009

I wonder what will happen to the TI Calypso stuff inside the Freerunner?
Now that OM stopped business who will take care of the GSM modem part and
fix issues if they are found? As a now full community supported mobile
hardware platform wouldn't it be possible to contact TI and release the
Calpyso SDK under some community license? I mean the GSM modem is an old
one and why can't it be de-NDA'ed by TI? Could someone of the former OM
staff try to contact them and explain our situation for this or must we
live forever with the current state of the GSM firmware as a black box
which would be really sad. As for #1024 there is that hardware fix but we
will never know if by chance it could be software fixed (I know that the
former OM developers had inspected the calypso firmware, however the more
ppl would analyse the code the chances are higher that some fix could be
possibly found).

Please don't let the calypso stuff be a dead end for us! Opening this part
of the device would make the Freerunner even more interesting for
developers since it would be (except the glamo *****) a truely open phone
by then.

Cheers,
Nek