New Open Hardware company

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 24 12:13:48 CEST 2009

On Friday 24 July 2009, Christoph Pulster wrote:
> >> 3. the PDA clam-shell form factor is obsolete
> >
> > Not a single one commented negatively about the clamshell.
>
> Psion Plc. invent the clamshell and set the top-level of usable keyboard
> verses form-factor with Series 3 twenty years ago.

Then raised it again a few years later with the Series 5

> We are in the SMS/twitter age now. Some vitual keyboard with multi-touch
> usability is sufficient. People who want to write full sentences buy a
> pencil with white paper.

If that were true RIM wouldn't be doing so well.

I still want a Series 5 with modern hardware inside and a screen from PixelQi,
and I know several former Psion and Nokia Communicator owners who would agree.
It may be a niche market, but it's a reasonably large niche that's currently
unserved. The quality of the keyboard is critical here.

> In general, what advantage does the NanoNote have to an Iphone with
> Linux installed ?

Price. Keyboard. Not having a capacitive touchscreen. No problem with
scratched or broken screen because the clamshell provides protection. But they
really aren't comparable devices anyway.