[TI Calypso] I know it's NDA'ed but ...

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 24 18:30:20 CEST 2009

On Friday 24 July 2009, Nekron wrote:
> I wonder what will happen to the TI Calypso stuff inside the Freerunner?
> Now that OM stopped business who will take care of the GSM modem part and
> fix issues if they are found? As a now full community supported mobile
> hardware platform wouldn't it be possible to contact TI and release the
> Calpyso SDK under some community license? I mean the GSM modem is an old
> one and why can't it be de-NDA'ed by TI?

It probably wouldn't hurt to ask, but don't get your hopes up. TI have little
to gain, and a release will cost them at least the time taken to ensure they
are allowed to release the information. They may not be allowed to release it,
even if they wanted to, for a number of reasons including third party rights
holders and regulatory rules.

> Could someone of the former OM
> staff try to contact them and explain our situation for this or must we
> live forever with the current state of the GSM firmware as a black box
> which would be really sad. As for #1024 there is that hardware fix but we
> will never know if by chance it could be software fixed (I know that the
> former OM developers had inspected the calypso firmware, however the more
> ppl would analyse the code the chances are higher that some fix could be
> possibly found).

A good chunk of the code in that area is a binary blob even to Openmoko, which
is one of the reasons the problem was difficult to debug in the first place.
You are asking for more access than even Openmoko had.

> Please don't let the calypso stuff be a dead end for us! Opening this part
> of the device would make the Freerunner even more interesting for
> developers since it would be (except the glamo *****) a truely open phone
> by then.

I think you stand a better chance of getting the Glamo opened than the
Calypso! I assume you would like Atheros to open the WLAN firmware too.