om2009/paroli status

Nicola Mfb nicola.mfb at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 04:11:51 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 11:40 PM, Risto H. Kurppa<risto at kurppa.fi> wrote:
[...]
> r - someone unhappy feeling that no-one is working on Paroli or
> bugfixing it.. I actually tried Zhone the other day (when Paroli or
> FSO failed to delete SMS's from the SIM) and was very pleased with it
> - I'd really like to see it developed further!

Hi Risto,

If I remember well Mickey announced that zhone will not get anymore
improvements and the one in fso 5.5 is basically the same of 5.1 :(. I
suppose that FSO/SHR joint will mean that while FSO will be improved
and extended SHR applications will be the natural candidate for their
testing and reference implementation. As there is a distro based on
zhone I do not know if at least their guys will improve it.

The problem is that SHR promised on late 2008 a stable milestone,
after that it was forgotten, they promised again on 22 may 2009, a lot
of unstable to test fork where done and abandoned. Finally I just
realized that it's a real nice hacking distro with tons of bleeding
edge and regular breaking updates and there is no real interesting on
stabilize it. I do not want to hurt anyone is only my opinion.

With om2009 release plan I just thought: SHR has no man power or will
to maintain two different branch, the stable and the developing at
least now, the same for OM guys with OM2009, but I'm lucky and I may
have OM2009 on the flash to have a stable working device, and shr on
the SD to test and enjoy bleeding edge.

I'm really afraid of all the shots that our device is taking while I
think that the community is completely unorganized and the term
"community driven" completely abused.

m2c

    Nicola