[openBmap] New cells visualisation interface on the website (beta)

Alex (Maxious) Sadleir maxious at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 18:34:19 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 2:00 AM, Onen <onen.om at free.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
> > If we could get all the average points for a network/country/region as
> > KML, it wouldn't be too hard to convert them into tangogps POIs
> > (although then you'd have alot of POIs).
> >

> What would be the purpose of displaying the average position?

For me, the average position markers on the website map give a good but
simple indication of how well covered an area is. I don't know of any
openmoko gps programs that can handle overlaying colored regions but
individual points are represented in Navit and TangoGPS.

> > Is there any work underway into opening/fixing the API?
>
> What API?
> What is not open?
> What needs to be fixed?

I've tried using the API page at
http://realtimeblog.free.fr/api/getGPSfromGSM.html but it never returns
useful results for me even when the map shows a radius. For example given
MCC: 505, MNC: 2, LAC: 2624, Cellid: 12213, I get

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<gsm mcc="505" mnc="2" lac="2621" cid="12213">
<zone countrynamecode="Australia" />
</gsm>

What would be good to be open is the edge points of a given cell, just like
you can see in the map:
http://realtimeblog.free.fr/with_osm4.php?mcc=505&mnc=2&lac=2624&cellid=12213&zoom=13

I'd eventually be wanting to use several cells in combination, along with
their signal/rx strength to try to work out a more accurate position. Other
geolocation APIs let you send in those details to work out the predicted
position and error radius, but perhaps OM developers would want to use the
openness of the data to develop their own prediction method on the local
device.

> If you really need the KML of the cells, then we can see how to provide
> this.

I just saw that there were already KML files referenced in the map, so if
that was the easiest way to share the data for now, so be it. But a local
sqlite database or dbus service will be even better when it's ready.