Can my FreeRunner remind me to shut it down if it is still running at 22:00?

Ben Wong lists.openmoko.org at wongs.net
Tue Jul 28 05:32:19 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 3:44 PM, Brolin Empey<brolin at brolin.be> wrote:

> I prefer to shut down my cell phone before going to bed, but I frequently
> forget to do so.

Hmmm... I think the solution depends on why you're shutting down your
cell phone at night.

To prevent calls from waking you?  Try a cron job that changes your
default ring style to silent (and resets it in the morning).

To save electricity, and thus the earth from global climate change?
I'd use a cron job that calls shutdown, but that first checks if your
phone is off the hook (well, I guess we already know the Freerunner is
"off the hook").  I'd probably also check if there had been any recent
screen input.

To save the battery in case you forgot to plug it in?  A cron job
would work to shut it down, but you could add a couple lines in the
script to skip it if the battery is already charging.

--Ben