testing Litephone, new phone interface

Michal Brzozowski rusolis at poczta.fm
Tue Jul 28 08:34:49 CEST 2009

2009/7/28 jeremy jozwik <jerjoz.forums at gmail.com>

> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Michal Brzozowski<rusolis at poczta.fm>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > The basic idea on the GUI is that it is packed in one window, the various
> > 'modules' (contacts, messages, dialer, etc) placed into tabs. No popup
> > windows.
> > Screenshot:
> > http://pvtrace.com/litephone/litephone1.png
> > Openmoko community mailing list
> > community at lists.openmoko.org
>
> i like this basic idea. not having to wait for dialer to load. wait
> for messages to load. waiting for applications sucks on the freerunner
> so the less i have to load the better.

That's right. The other thing that bugged me in SHR and Paroli was that when
you have many apps open, and you want to, lets say, send a message, you have
to go through all the windows to see if you have the messages window open.
And when you're just using applications the phone apps get in your way all
the time. Ideally the phone app should be on a different workspace activated
by AUX or something, so when you just switch windows you don't see it at
all.

> i dont think i will be trying this one though, the install seems a bit
> too complex and being that its unstable to you eliminates my chances
> of using it.

The app itself is pretty stable, after all it's just gui bound to dbus
calls. The problem is that you have to use bleeding edge FSO, and it
currently crashes on any FSO error. It's the first thing I'm going to fix.
But you can use it along ophonekitd and SHR apps with no problems. It would
be very helpful to get feedback on the gui.

I'll set up an svn repo today. Any hints where's the best place?

I've put some more screenshots on
http://pvtrace.com/litephone/