tangogps : updating tiles ?

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Tue Jul 28 18:06:55 CEST 2009

William Kenworthy wrote:
> Is there any advantage (to the server) of using curl? - is there a
> reason why openstreetmap would ban one and not the other (or is it just
> someone(s) using wget beating up their server?

Go to their website - read their policy.
tile.openstreetmap.org is not to be used for "bulk downloads".
I can understand this, they probably have a bandwith problem.

This rules out any app that actually do bulk downloading,
they detect and block as needed.

Find another repository that don't have such limitations. Changing the
user agent string will work - for a little while. Then the
new string goes on the block list - or perhaps your IP address.

Helge Hafting