[Om2009] a community effort

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Jun 1 08:46:19 CEST 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-31 at 18:15 +0400, Paul Fertser wrote:
> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 03:47:04PM +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
>
> Look at AUX led. Enable whichever loglevel for kernel you like. Boot a
> minimal kernel that will boot really fast.
>
> Not a bootloader problem.

I probably have not been clear enough - if the bootloader exits (as it
was doing to me silently), you can go along blithely thinking that the
phone was booted and working but it wasn't so I missed an important
call.

The problem is that Qi doesnt give ANY feedback to a user, its always a
worry - is it or isnt it booting?  Granted that you can overide to force
feedback, but then why not use uboot which has proven reliable AND tells
the user that something is happening faster than Qi will boot when in
debug mode (so I presume from my memories of trying to test/time this).
I am not talking about kernel boot messages, but "something" every 10-15
seconds to reassure the user.

I have used a number of cheap mobiles, a treo650.  Thfamily have a range
of mobiles up to an N95.  I have used quite a number of linux versions
over the years - none, absolutely none including windows tells the user
nothing like Qi does.  That if nothing else should tell how wrong Qi's
operation is.

and the clincher for me was that the gain using Qi (faster booting)
didnt seem very much ... so why use it all?  It just seems like more NIH
syndrome.  Again, I can only remember Andy saying he didnt like uboot,
hence Qi, and Qi was going to be so much faster ...

BillK