usb0 vs eth0

Ben Wong lists.openmoko.org at wongs.net
Mon Jun 1 16:43:07 CEST 2009

> i don't know which interface udev will assign to the neo.. for
> example when i connect it i get eth1, suddenly renamed to eth7 by udev, but
> am i sure it will always get eth7?

I believe it depends on which distribution you run.  Some
distributions, like Debian, use a persistent-net-generator script
which will always give a particular ethernet device a consistent name
in /dev whenever it is plugged in.  Personally, that drives me batty;
I'm a tidy person and I don't like seeing my first ethernet card be
named eth7 simply because I used several other cards in the distant
past.  But it's good for you in this case, your Freerunner should
always have the same device name.

> The page http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/USB_Networking explain how to setup
> nat and routing, but all the examples use usb0. The problem is that each
> different udev installation will assign a possibly different interface name
> to the neo, so what should one do? setup nat and routing for all the
> interfaces being attached? seems strange.. I just would like to see an
> example, because it's not clear to me, and i think for many like me..

Yes, the usb0/eth1/eth7 problem is very annoying from a documentation
point of view.  It would be nice to have a single example on the wiki
which people can use without editing.  I don't have the answer to that
one, but I'd love to see it if someone else does.

--Ben

P.S. If you're using Debian, you can check the file
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to see the mappings between
the MAC address and device name.  I believe OpenMoko devices always
have a MAC address that starts with 00:1F:11