usb0 vs eth0

ivvmm unachievable at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 16:54:51 CEST 2009

roby wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 8:29 AM, Paul Fertser <fercerpav at gmail.com
> <mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Max <max at darim.com <mailto:max at darim.com>> writes:
>     > When I plug FR it appears as eth0 instead of usb0.
>     It's on purpose and it's damn right. Search the archives. If you want
>     some kind of interface renaming for whatever reason, write an
>     appropriate udev rule.
>

> Everybody saying that it's right, but nobody explaining how to use it..
> the problem is that it's not so simple to write an udev interface
> renaming rule because i don't know which interface udev will assign to
> the neo.. for example when i connect it i get eth1, suddenly renamed to
> eth7 by udev, but am i sure it will always get eth7?
> The page http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/USB_Networking explain how to
> setup nat and routing, but all the examples use usb0. The problem is
> that each different udev installation will assign a possibly different
> interface name to the neo, so what should one do? setup nat and routing
> for all the interfaces being attached? seems strange.. I just would like
> to see an example, because it's not clear to me, and i think for many
> like me..
>
> --
> roby

Read the section for Slackware on that wiki page. This way that will do
the right routing whatever the interface is called so you will not have
to think how is it named at this time.

As for me, I experience another problem: cannot connect to the
freerunner twice, only once until device is rebooted. How this can be
solvfed?