Debuzzing

Steve Mosher steve at openmoko.com
Mon Jun 1 20:17:44 CEST 2009

YA,
  When I first started putting the program together I asked Tony Tu to
get me a test protocal for incoming. Engineering ( and others) then
pointed out that the Buzz problem was conditioned by enviromental
factors that we CND ( could not duplicate) such that a phone with Buzz
in the feild may not exhibit it at the test site ( For example, I never
had phones buzz for me, even when sean flew out with a phone to show
me the buzz) And a phone without buzz in the field may exhibit it at the
test site. So, I dropped the requirement for an incoming test protocal.
My logic was this. The circuit was known to manifest the problem under
certain circumstances. Its clear that RF gets on the line and clear also
that the CAP fix, if properly applied, reduces the symptoms, both in
theory and in practice. So, if we offer the buzz fix to all, some small
fraction of people who do not have the problem will still want the fix.
If they are willing to part with their phone for a week or so to get a
fix they dont need, then go ahead and fix it.