Cellhunter/OpenBmap

Christian Gagneraud cgagneraud at techworks.ie
Thu Jun 4 19:59:01 CEST 2009

Sebastian Hammerl wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Sebastian,

> about the conversion I cannot help you because I don't know the openbmap
> format.
>
> I talked with the openbmap owner about collaborating and got to the
> result that it will only happen in the way that openbmap can use the
> cellhunter data. I will not combine these two databases. There are some
> mails here around with reasons for that.

Yes, i've read about this, and i think that it's worth logging too
much data than not enough...

> But cellhunter will cooperate with opencellid.org which is as far as I
> know the largest open cellid database. And my opinion is that everyone
> should submit the data via cellhunter or something else to this database
> so there is one global one. Only with a good cover all over the world
> this data gets usefull.

I've looked at opencellid.org website, and couldn't find any
information concerning the database, how can a user access the data
for example...

> I just saw that openbmaps imports the opencellid data so there will be
> the cellhunter data in in future.

That's a good point, but for example, yesterday evening i've uploaded
lot of data (about 5 hours sampling every 10 seconds, while moving by
boat along the coast), and now i would like to reuse these data,
exploit them, plot them, ... with existing web application or by
writing my own tool, the API offered by cellhunter doesn't really fit
my needs that's why i want to have a look at OBM's API.

Do you know how often CH is imported into opencellid, and how often
opencellid are imported into OBM?

Cheers,
Chris