MP3 patents (was: Freerunner's Future)

David Reyes Samblas Martinez david at tuxbrain.com
Fri Jun 5 23:39:20 CEST 2009

2009/6/5 Tim Schmidt <timschmidt at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Steve Mosher<steve at openmoko.com> wrote:
>> I am somewhat constrained in what I am able to say. On one view there is
>> the position,
>> held by some, that any hardware that is merely CAPABLE of mp3 decode is
>> required
>> to apply for a license.
>
> So these dolts want a license fee for every turing complete computer
> above a few mips?
in short yes, in Spain is even more blooding, because apart of format
war licences in customs, there is local  agency called SGAE that
succeeds in make pay a fee for any device not only able to play mp3
but any kind of music, and that's not all, not only to play but to
keep any kind of multimedia format (this include CD/DVD-R, HD,
SDCards....)
Is no matter of common sense or logic, now a days with law at hand,
they can do it and they do. Then is your work to demonstrate in court
you are right but meanwhile you are totally fuc$%ed. Scaring ,isn't
it?
Steve the problem is that "some" holding the position, are the ones
that have enough money/power/time/knowledge to sue you, because even
If they know they can loose in the court, in a way or another you will
pay because you just can afford and stand in the whole long proccess,
is their daily routine.