Questions about Openmoko cellphones ..

Ben Wong lists.openmoko.org at wongs.net
Sat Jun 6 03:15:33 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Sebastian
Krzyszkowiak<seba.dos1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 21:25, Ken Young<rtm at cfa.harvard.edu> wrote:
>> dehqan65 at gmail.com wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I'm not programmer and maybe can not  do anything for that .
>>
>> I think it is very unlikely that you will be able to get an Openmoko
>> phone to work for you with Farsi text unless you able to do some
>> programming, or at least port some code.   (Afsoos mikhoram!)
>>
>> Ken Young
>
> SHR supports UTF-8 and RTL languages. Isn't that enough?

I just partially tested this out and, yes, Farsi SMS can be sent and
received with SHR.  Now, I don't speak Persian, so I just cut and
pasted a bit of Obama's Nowruz address from the web (via Midori).  The
SMS sending program doesn't have a Paste menu item, but Ctrl+V works.
Although the text was left justified, the characters were received in
the proper right-to-left order.

Of course, I say "partially" tested, because I didn't try out an input
method.  If someone could do that, I'd be curious to know if it works.
 By the way, I believe SCIM can handle Persian transliteration from a
QWERTY keyboard, so that might be a quick work around until someone
makes a Farsi keyboard.

--Ben

P.S. This is what I sent:
‫سخنان پرزیدنت باراک اوباما‬