Replying to messages (Was: Fundamental Qi question)

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen rask at sygehus.dk
Sat Jun 6 23:32:46 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 09:13:20PM +0400, Paul Fertser wrote:

> Now imagine i see a message from some person, with some ML (i'm
> subscribed to Cc'd). Also there's like 5 persons in Cc list, that are
> addressed explicitly because they have something to do with the topic
> (like they're subsystem maintainers, original authors or something
> like that).
[cut]

   I'm smart enough to figure out that if someone replies to a list message
without being sent a copy directly, then that person is on the list. Most
lists don't even allow non-subscribers to post anyway. Additionally, I'm
polite enough to try list-reply before group-reply when there are no
non-subscriber addresses for group-reply to use.

> But if i press "L" and some of
> the Cc'd persons are not subscribed to the list (which is a very
> common situation for things involving different areas of interest,
> e.g. both alsa and arm) they will not receive my reply which is not
> what is intended.

   Either you have an unusually short memory or you knew perfectly well that
Arne Anka was subscribed to the list and had no use for a direct copy.

--
Rask Ingemann Lambertsen