Leaving Openmoko and continuing with Openmoko

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Tue Jun 9 14:13:26 CEST 2009

Hi Wolfgang and thank you for the work you've done to make this
happen, what we've achieved so far.

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Wolfgang Spraul<wolfgang at openmoko.org> wrote:
> I will continue to work with Sean and Openmoko Inc. in an outsourcing role.
>
> In parallel, me and other ex-Openmoko employees are trying to regroup
> outside of the company to add new flavors to the Openmoko family. Stay
> tuned for news as this unfolds, we will need your support.

This sound's interesting. I hope this doesn't create a parallel
structure to the planned foundation, but you'd be a part of it. If you
ask me, leaders to have the freedom to take the community to where you
want it to go, not where investors etc want it to go.

> If you look at today's best consumer products, they are the results of
> endless polishing by a tightly controlled group of people and companies.
> The results are amazing - Apple products come to my mind, Blackberry and
> others.
> Unfortunately as of today the end user experience of a Neo Freerunner is
> far away from that :-)

I must agree - I was just reading the latest releases by Apple and I
admit being jealous with all the new features & hardware. And all the
cool apps they have - OK, Linux world has thousands of apps but
they're designed for keyboard, mouse and big screen, not a small
portable device with touch screen.

> Zoom forward and I can see how freely formed groups of companies and
> individuals collaborate in the Creative Commons ShareAlike way, on an
> equal playing field, to make products that are both better and cheaper
> for a particular user group than anything else out there.

Waiting this to happen ... :)

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to see what happens with the
company-independent community, how it will organize itself and what's
the direction where we'll be going. Keep up the good work (and I
really appreciate it that you former  OM people stay in the project,
it's very valuable as you have all the background information about
the device and the project that the community can only guess..)