Freerunner's Future

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Fri Jun 12 09:52:09 CEST 2009

Adolph J. Vogel wrote:
> As a new freerunner owner :) and as a mechanical engineering masters
> student, I think this might be an ideal place for me to contribute to
> the freerunners future. :)

Yeah ! You may even be able to make this count as a semester or
final project, or similar.

> I have done some googling on free cad software, anything beyond 2D is
> severly lacking behind their propriety counterparts. I will look into
> them some more, maybe there are some new projects that we can use.

The most promising one seems to be HeeksCAD. It has fairly
comprehensive CAM integration and can do parametric modeling via
Python scripts. Salome also looks quite powerful and is perhaps
more mature but appears to lack CAM integration.

- Werner