some questions before buying FreeRunner

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 22:19:44 CEST 2009

a dehqan <dehqan65 at gmail.com> writes:
>>I do not advise you to fix the Freerunner yourself.  Just purchase a
>>buzz-fixed version.
>
> Would you explain more ?why ?
> Difference between fix and non-fixed is 30 EUR , Do you think does it cost to pay 30 EUR for fixing +
> firmware upgrade ?
> 1-about firmware upgrade ,users they can upgrade theirself ,dont they ?
> 2-about fixing and that rework, fisrt a wall ,in which GSM networks , do most of FR have low buzz ?
> 3-I have not SMD work yet but i have brazed ,Do you think i can not be abke to braze on FR board with
> hands ?

Firmware upgrade costs nothing, you can do it yourself without any
problems. Buzz fixing is highly recommended and no, if you've never
done SMD work you won't be able to do it properly. If in doubt, find
some broken PCB with components (like old video-card or smth) and try
to exchange some 0402-sized Rs there.

>>If you do not yet have GNU/Linux on your desktop computer,  I
>>recommend that you start now.
>>Just buy it, don't have too high expectations on stability, and learn to love it.
> It is long time just debian based have been used on pc ,there is not problems and knowing linuxs .
> but important question , does FR catch owner time each day for any reason ?e.g for almost all activity
> with FR should users  spend time each day ?

No, if you don't upgrade software it stays the same and most users are
able to find something that works stable enough.

>>I wouldn't have paid extra for the pouch,  but my Freerunner came with
>>one and I use it.  I keep it in my pocket, clipped to a belt loop.
>>The pouch protects the screen from getting scratched up with the other
>   So why dont you use invisible shield ?just trousers has packets ,How much are lenght and width sizes
> of FR ?
> Do you advice using invisble shield ,wont invisble shield make
> screen sensitivity to be decreased ?

I use screen protection from day 1. It's a regular PDA screen
protector, bought in a nearby cellphone shop. I don't think it
decreases TS precision.

>>I have heard of difficulties shipping to some countries, either with odd local
>>shipping arrangements or with things getting stuck in customs. I don't know
>>whether that would affect you or not, but it might be worth asking.
>
> would you explain more ?Fr will be posted to sweden that a person
> will carry it to iran .

Probably no problem then.

>>You know the software's not exactly
>>consumer-ready, and about all the hardware issues
> would you explain more ,what other problems with hardware except
> those buzz's ?

1. Buzz
2. #1024 recamping (there's software workaround)
3. Complete lack of bass with any wired headphones

mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com