Better handling of AUX and POWER buttons

Nicola Mfb nicola.mfb at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 09:48:11 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Nicola Mfb<nicola.mfb at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> About my experiments I just discovered that some applications simply
> refuse to process XSendEvents for security reasons. This is bad, as
> using X you may differentiate virtual injected keys events based on
> the destination applications, so AUX may trigger "enter" to one, "F11"
> to another and so on.
> As of that I think we need to filter events at input lever layer
> (other ideas or solutions are welcome of course).

I just found XTestFakeKeyEvent, it should work, so another solution
may be a daemon that grabs Aux and Power buttons, handle them and
injects key events.
The daemon may ask the WM for the active window, retrieve it's
displayed name and differentiate key injection according to a
configuration file.

> Il try to contact Theodoros Kalamatianos, the author of actkbd [1]  to
> ask him for the support for such complex key shortcut, as it's daemon
> already has keyboard event injection and use 2.6 linux event
> interface.

Theodoros has no time actually, but he's interested in such
improvements and promised to give a try in few weeks.

Regards

    Nicola