Is a FreeRunner sufficient for me?

arne anka openmoko at ginguppin.de
Thu Jun 18 12:28:06 CEST 2009

> I never need to use suspend on my Nokia 6103b.  I do not think it even
> has a
> suspend mode  — at least not one the user can activate.

that's the difference.
the nokia is nothing but a phone -- and as such it's mostly suspended (or
"standby").
the fr otoh is a full fledged computer, offering phone functionality. you
probably don't want your computer to go into standby after a few secs,
won't you?

if suspended the battery lasts about 48 hrs, maybe more. it's not that
great, though, but work is still going on to extend that.
but with the most common scenario, ie having access to a power source
every few hours or constantly (office), you can recharge when necessary.

as for tasks/calendar/..., there's even osmo.
for syncing: at least osmo (and other apps too, probably) uses
standardized file format for storing data (vcard for contacts f ex).
most apps cann read those, to. so syncing is nothing more but transferring
the files in question to your desktop or vice versa -- noting a small
rsync line can't do