Is a FreeRunner sufficient for me?

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 18 15:15:35 CEST 2009

On Thursday 18 June 2009, Brolin Empey wrote:
> 2009/6/18 arne anka <openmoko at ginguppin.de>
> However, even if my Nokia enters standby mode after a few seconds of
> inactivity, this does not bother me because it is invisible to the user:
> the phone is instantly usable in its previous state, even after hours of
> inactivity.  This is much different than standby mode on a desktop computer
> with at least 1 GiB of main memory, where there is a noticeable delay when
> leaving standby mode.

Resume takes ~1s for me, and I'm using uboot which resumes more slowly than
Qi. Autosuspend after x seconds of inactivity is configurable, so you can have
the phone-like experience.

> > if suspended the battery lasts about 48 hrs, maybe more. it's not that
> > great, though, but work is still going on to extend that.
>
> Can I still receive phone calls while the FreeRunner is suspended?

Of course! It wouldn't be much use as a phone otherwise :-)

> > but with the most common scenario, ie having access to a power source
> > every few hours or constantly (office), you can recharge when necessary.
>
> To be practical, this battery life is acceptable because I fit this most
> common scenario.  However, (what I have been told about) the FreeRunner’s
> battery life still seems poor compared to my Nokia, for example.

Best case scenario is 160hrs standby time IIRC. Enable bluetooth, wifi and
GPS, keep the backlight on and you can drain the battery in ~4hrs. Not
dissimilar to an Nokia n95, although that may not be seen as good either ;-)
Backlighting a relatively large screen is responsible for half the current
draw, so turning the brightness down a little and setting a short backlight
timeout can make a big difference.