Is a FreeRunner sufficient for me?

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 22:44:39 CEST 2009

2009/6/20 Ben Wong <lists.openmoko.org at wongs.net>:
> I must respectfully disagree with Joerg's advice to you.  There are
> flaws, including the ones Joerg points out, but they do not
> necessarily make the Freeruner unsuitable as a daily phone.

Agreed. FreeRunner is my only phone as well.

> The sound quality is "terrible" according to Joerg, but that has not
> been my experience.  Perhaps I'm just lucky, having bought a later
> model unit,

I've one from the first batches (GTA02a5), nothing wrong with sound
after the buzz fix. I believe that's just either a rumor based on the
buzz problems of the past or wrong default ALSA settings (current SHR,
Om2009, Debian I believe should be better than before).

It's completely correct to say Neo is still not for everyone, but it
is also likewise correct to say it's very usable for day-to-day phone
usage for some people.

It's also possible to "leave it as is" if one doesn't want to tweak /
hack it for a while. In the winter I think I didn't touch anything
from ca. December to late February, just used it. I had my tweaked
Om2008.12 back then. Meanwhile, Om2009 looks like quite usable
out-of-the-box already - I've it as a dual-boot together with Debian
which I use mainly, and Om2009 is just simply usable. The latest test
version seems to offer quite a bit of flexibility as well if one
enables the "serenity" theme from the display settings menu.

-Timo