Why one cannot recommend the freerunner as a daily phone (was Re: Is a FreeRunner sufficient for me?)

Ben Wong lists.openmoko.org at wongs.net
Mon Jun 22 08:35:39 CEST 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Joerg Lippmann<jl_lists at donalbain.de> wrote:
>> > Then the Freerunner is not for you.
>> > It may sound harsh, but it's definitely *not* suitable for daily use.
>> > Period.
>>
>> I must respectfully disagree with Joerg's advice to you.  [...]

> OK, maybe I should explain. My mail should not be taken as FUD.

I hope I didn't give the impression that I thought Joerg's message was
FUD.  I think calling "FUD" can too often be an ad hominem attack.
Although I disagree with some of Joerg's statements, it's clear that
he's trying to help and is being honest about the Freerunner's value
to him, personally.

I want to thank Joerg for taking the time to give a clear list of
reasons why a person might consider the Freerunner unsuitable as a
phone.  I think it'd be helpful if these and other points were put on
the wiki so that potential buyers can see the arguments against the
Freerunner, and what the community response is.  (E.g., Solved?
Kludged?  In progress?  Unfixable?)

--Ben