font size in other window managers

Nicola Mfb nicola.mfb at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 18:20:46 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 5:51 PM, Michal Brzozowski<rusolis at poczta.fm> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm playing with other window managers in Om2009, like matchbox and icewm.
>
> All the apps that I run use insanely small fonts and buttons. Same as when
> you run them in pure X. Does anyone have an idea how to change this
> behaviour? Is it through some env variables?

This is a DPI issue, that's affects all applications.
To correct specific one you may use the toolkit theming system, for
example with QT you may run "myapplication -stylesheets filename", in
filename you put:
* {font-size: 15px}
that's all! with different gui toolkit I do not know how to do it, but
I suppose you may force/use a theme.

If you continues your window managers tests please reports them on:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Windows_Managers

I'm actually using Matchbox on debian sid, with command line
parameters and moko theme from hackable1.
It gives fullscreen windows (like Illume), a top bar with on left the
current window name with integrated drop down menu to switch to other
windows and on the right system-monitor and clock applet. A neod like
daemon listens for AUX/Power key events, the first toggle the
matchbox-keyboard, the second popups a window for some nice tasks
(close/kill window, toggle fullscreen mode, toggle display
orientation, shutdown the device).
I avoided matchbox-desktop too, and adopted a simple application launcher.

I'm very happy with this, as I can finally close fullscreen or freezed
X11 applications without the USB cable :)

Regards

    Nicola