Why one cannot recommend the freerunner as a daily phone (was Re: Is a FreeRunner sufficient for me?)

mobi phil mobi at mobiphil.com
Wed Jun 24 13:09:14 CEST 2009

Hey!! Is this kind of phrase "i am not interested in c++. " driving the
linux phone development? I can never understand how is it possible to have
such a huge gap on the scale between C programmers and C++ programmers? Why
are C++ programmers dying out? Is it because some C programmers never
managed to get the point with C++ and those who did, switched automatically
to Java? I propose a C wrapper arround Qt, for the C programmers, and
everybody will still benefit, beleive me. QT is a treasure, is a nice clean
code! And it is fast!

By the way... nvidia tegra, the new dancer on the stage says "no linux on
tegra"
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2009/06/nvidia-says-no-to-linux-on-tegra-netbooks-chooses-wince.ars

or
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=nvidia+tegra+linux

mobiphil
mobiphil.com

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 8:56 PM, Al Johnson
<openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk>wrote:

> On Monday 22 June 2009, mobi phil wrote:
> >I think carrying Xwindows is the biggest
> > mistake. I personally encourage QT or new start with gtk on top of
> > www.directfb.org/, so that gtk based interfaces can be reused... By the
> way
> > did anybody consider gtk with directfb as direction? Or I am wrong and
> the
> > bottleneck is not really Xwindows?
>
> This has been discussed _many_ times before. Those with extensive
> experience
> in this area have said X is not the bottleneck. I've just dug out a few of
> Raster's comments:
>
> http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2009-April/046056.html
> http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2008-November/035825.html
>
> http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/openmoko-devel/2008-February/001924.html