[OM2009] Paroli background

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Mon Jun 29 05:31:38 CEST 2009

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 23:58:25 +0200
Laszlo KREKACS <laszlo.krekacs.list at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Joel Newkirk<freerunner at newkirk.us>
> wrote:
> > Instead of recompiling paroli-launcher.edj to change backgrounds,
> > it would be nicer and more flexible if paroli and all its components
> > used a separate edje file
>
> All paroli application is using its own .edj file.
> The edje file contains several "group" where you organize a
> gui using "part" and "program" elements.
>
> When you create a widnow you specify which .edj file to use, and
> from that .edj file you can obtain the groups elements as objects,
> and manipulate them.
>
> However I dont see how can it be done, to have two .edj files for one
> app. Maybe it is not possible at all. Anyway needs serious research.

I've not yet written much code utilizing Edje, but have been burrowing
through .edj files for some time now.  It certainly can be done, though
I confess I don't know how to do it with Elementary. (Illume itself does
this - the background is a separate .edj file, and for that matter each
icon can be as well) It's not so much having two different .edj files
for one app as it is having a separate element within the GUI that has
its own .edj file.

Illume themes use:

         part {
		name: "e.swallow.bg";
		type: SWALLOW;
		mouse_events: 0;
		description {
			state: "default" 0.0;
		}
	}

as the background, where the actual background is loaded and changed
dynamically - I presume the background is loaded as a separate GUI and
stuffed into the SWALLOW part.

> By the way having each application a background image, needs
> some work on the theme. Because many elements have simply plain
> black background. So it is lot of work...

Not a problem at my end, as that's what I'm doing anyway - building a
new theme for Paroli. ;)  As I go I keep testing against black,
repeating pattern, and full image backgrounds.