[shr, others?] Flash drive mounted with "sync" option

Nikita V. Youshchenko yoush at debian.org
Mon Jun 29 10:10:55 CEST 2009

> I'd like to submit a bug report with a suggestion to remove the "-o
> sync" option, but before I do, I wonder if anybody can tell me if
> there is a valid reason to be using sync on all automounted drives.

The reason is - if mount is not sync, something is writtent to the device,
and then device is removed before it is manually unmounted AND unmount
syscall completes, then device filesystem will become broken, possibly
unrecoverable.

Since users don't like to manually unmount their devices, and developers
really don't like when users blame them for unrecoverable data loose,
default is to mount sync.