[OM2009] airplane mode

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Mon Jun 29 14:56:56 CEST 2009

jeremy jozwik wrote:
> window seat makes no difference : )
> in fact for several minuets i was holding my freerunner against the
> window and got nothing...

My experience is that a window seat is necessary. If I have a fix, I
loose it by moving the phone half a meter away from the window. So it
almost have to touch the glass all the time.

To get the fix quickly, aquire a good fix outside the plane shortly
before you board it. Then, stop the gps software. It will save satellite
ephemeris information so it can be reused when you're inside the plane.
Without this, ephemeris has to be downloaded from the satellites before
the first fix - but downloading requires better signal quality than
merely tracking. You may or may not get the better quality signal inside
the plane.

Helge Hafting