[SHR - Latest unstable] TangoGPS

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Mon Mar 9 11:33:37 CET 2009

Tony Berth wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 6:26 PM, Yoann ARNAUD <yarnaud at crans.org
> <mailto:yarnaud at crans.org>> wrote:
>
>     Tony Berth a écrit :
>
>      > which command did you use for that symbolic link?
>
>     ln -s ...
>
>     ("man ln" for arguments)
>
>     --
>     Yoann.
>

> I did that but I get 'operation not permitted' as the Maps are located
> in my SD card which is FAT32! :(
>
> So the only way to make it work is to re-format my SD card?

No.

I believe you have done something wrong. Or is your /home on the sdcard?

It is impossible to create a symbolic link _on_ a FAT32 filesystem

But it sure is possible to create a symbolic link _to_ a FAT32 folder.

The link should be created in /home/root, which hopefully is jffs2 on
the internal flash?

My own case:
/home/root is in the internal flash, jffs2 filesystem
tangogps wants to use /home/root/Maps

My actual map folder is /media/card/kart , and the filesystem for that
doesn't matter at all. I used this command:

ln -s /media/card/kart /home/root/Maps

If you have tried to start tangogps, then it may have created
/home/root/Maps already and populated it with a high-level world map.
You must delete this folder before you can use the "ln" command.

Whatever folder you link _to_ (in my case, /media/card/kart ), it must
contain a folder named OSM and under that, various numbered folders.
You cannot link directly to the folder named OSM, you must link to the
level above it. If your map folders aren't in a folder named OSM, fix
that first using "mv".

If your /home/root _is_ on FAT32 and there isn't room for the maps in
the same filesystem, then you will have to reformat indeed!

Helge Hafting