Fennec Beta 1 Released

"Marco Trevisan (Treviño)" mail at 3v1n0.net
Sun Mar 22 20:20:30 CET 2009

Brad Lassey wrote:
> On 3/21/2009 2:54 PM, GNUtoo wrote:
>> I built it too...
>> but it has issues:
>> *slow
>>
> There have been a lot of performance improvements in beta 1 (with more
> coming before release).  If its slow on FR, it would be great to get
> some profiles so we can know where the hot spots are.

Well, I think that one of the things that mostly affect this aspect is
libpixman; as I've read, Fennec uses it a lot to design the pages and
that library is mostly written with floating-point logic, and it has not
native arm code for armv4; so this causes a great slowdown. Upgrading it
allows to get a slightly better experience, but I figure that this is
not the only problem.

>> *not obtimized for the openmoko screen...

With some user.js optimization it could be better (look in the
archives), but it is not so good for us yet.

--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux
http://www.3v1n0.net/