Will my phone buzz?

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Sun May 3 13:18:57 CEST 2009

Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> Shachar Shemesh <shachar at shemesh.biz> writes:
>
>> Can anyone tell me how I can find out? Is there some way to look at
>> the board of a phone and tell whether it has the fix?
>>

> cat /proc/cpuinfo
>
> If it says 0305 you have V5 and need a fix.

I'm sorry if I'm asking a silly question. When I do "cat /proc/cpuinfo"
I get "Revision: 24420360", so presumably I'm okay. Then again, while
trying to figure out what field I was supposed to be looking at, I
stumbled upon http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner_Hardware.
 From there, it seems that the user space gets that data from the
kernel, which in turn gets it from the boot loader, which doesn't get it
from anywhere at all hardware related. I've upgraded my boot loader with
an image I downloaded from the Internet (so I could boot from ext2
partitions on a microsd card). So now I have to wonder whether the fact
that it says "24420360" actually means anything other than "I upgraded
my u-boot"?

I have the debug board, which implicitly means I have the screw driver
needed to open the device (already did once). I was more looking for
something that says "this is the change you need to do in order to fix
the buzz", and then just open the device and have a look whether that
change is already in place.

Thanks,
Shachar

P.s.
This is somewhat academic, as I'm fairly certain that my phone is a V6

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd.