Solar charger (was Re: News Openmoko Shop Pulster)

David Reyes Samblas Martinez david at tuxbrain.com
Tue May 5 01:03:03 CEST 2009

Christoph and I were talking about this and agree with Christian we
must think on this devices more as  auxiliary batteries with a plus
than solar chargers, so the higher capacity the better.
We are interested in offer this in our shops so we will proceed the
following way, as we do with the Slim BT Keyboard, but this time even
more open and community driven.
I will order a sample of the following models  from en-hancing.com to
test them and put the results on a wiki page along with some pictures
of them on the field.
SC019 3000mAh  cool&rought the more expensive
SC020 3600mAh  the highest capacity but seems slightly weaker than sc019
SC018 2600mAh only one solar panel but with higher battery than SC021
and twice cheaper, if it has a mini usb adaptor can be a
better choice for cheaper option

SC021 is only 2000mAh  is just a little bit cheaper than
SC019/20 options

You can suggest what test do you like to be performed and I will
publish the results on that wiki.
After that test we(community included in that we) can disscuss what
model fits  most of all  and I will proceed with an order to have
stock in our shops.
Please be aware than final price will be higher than we have disscused
here, after some quick maths the SC019/20 model will be about 69EUR ,
SC018 about 39EUR, the SC021 about 59EUR(too much for a 2000mAh
battery IMHO)   those prices are just to orientate, custom fees and
Euro/dollar equivalence when the order is finally made are really hard
to calculate(near a lottery really) is just to you have an idea.

So the due the other YL series doesn't has more than 2400mAh and to
avoid more shipping/customs costs (really expesive from china). I
think does't worth the effort to try to buy samples from them.

I will keep you informed about the progress of the plan :)

--
David Reyes Samblas Martinez
http://www.tuxbrain.com