Solar charger (was Re: News Openmoko Shop Pulster)

Christian Gagneraud cgagneraud at techworks.ie
Tue May 5 19:13:36 CEST 2009

Daniel.Li wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 16:35 +0100, Christian Gagneraud wrote:
>>> latest news from factory.
>>>
>>> YL-S01: 26.47 USD 2400mAh/3.7V
>>> YL-S02: 20.59 USD 1800mAh/3.7V
>>> YL-S03: 10.00 USD 1350mAH/3.7V
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> I use to use this kind of solar charger (a YB-E5008) during my last
>> holidays (3 weeks in Iceland, by bike), and i can tell you that they
>> are not suitable for smartphone. I couldn't keep my Nokia N95/8GB
>> charged.
>> When they say that you can charge your solar charger with sun light
>> in
>> 8/12H, it means actually 8/12h exposed under the sun light at its
>> zenith, on the equator of the earth!
>> By experience, i can tell you that you will need _at least_ two sunny
>> days to get it charged properly (during which you took care of
>> orienting the charger as the sun moves).
>
> Thanks for you info. And it's very useful. I found that YB-E5008 has
> only 3.6V/1100mAH.
> http://y-toshenzhentech.itm.com.cn/532951/solar-charge-yb-e5008-for-mobile-phone-mp34.htm

Actually, i've looked inside my charger, and the battery is definitely
  a 2.1Ah.

It looks like different manufacturer use same name for _almost_ the
same device, yeah, almost...

> Well, I have to re-check it with factory before I buy one :)
>> You have to be aware of these constraints as well:
>> - You can't charge your phone while you charge the charger itself
>
> YL-S** series can charge your phone when the charger is charged with
> solar energy board :)
>
>> - If the charger is not fully charge (the light is not green), it
>> won't charge your phone, _at all_!
>
> Humm, I have checked with factory. LED of YL-S** series only indicates
> how much battery is left. And even it shows red, it can still charge the
> FR.

Yeah, with mine i couldn't charge a N95, to tell you the truth i was
very disappointed with this charger...

> 70%-100%	Green
> 30%-70%		Orange
> 0%-30%		red
>
> Of course, I think we had better to test it. And I think you are right
> the higher capacity the better :)
>
>> As well, i would advice to use a charger which has at least 2 times
>> the capacity of your phone (FR has a 3.7V/1200mAh battery).
>>
>> On the 3 chargers you propose here, and the 3 chargers i've proposed
>> earlier, i would be only interested in 2 of them:, the SC019 and the
>> SC020, mainly because these are the only ones which has internal
>> battery with a capacity >= 3000Ah
>
> Yeah, I have checked with them again. They have larger capacity
> 3.0/3.5/4.0Ah

wow, 4Ah, do you have any links?

Chris