[debian] Installing *.ipk/*.opk part 1: Dependencies

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen rask at sygehus.dk
Wed May 6 01:16:06 CEST 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:16:06PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> When installing opk/ipk packages from e.g. http://www.opkg.org/, there
> >> will be problems with unmet dependencies because Debian uses other
> >> package names for some of the packages providing the dependencies. I've
> >> created a few small packages which create a mapping of the package names so
> >> tricks like --force-depends/--ignore-depends should not be necessary. See:
>
> >> http://nospamnospam.homepage.dk/software/download/oedepmappings/
[snip]

> Also, it would probably be preferable for those packages to have a name
> that makes it clear that they're not "real".  E.g. you might call them
> something like "adapter-opkg-<foo>", and then have them provide the
> required feature.

   I would if APT supported it. Unfortunately, the APT support for
Provides: is buggy enough that it only works for packages which are already
installed, and I'm hoping to eventually be able to do something like

# apt-install-package-file http://www.opkg.org/package.opk

and have APT install the dependencies automatically (including having them
marked as such).

--
Rask Ingemann Lambertsen