Bluetooth headsets in FSO (was: Re: [Om2008.x] Announcing BlueMoko 1.0b1)

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Wed May 6 14:11:40 CEST 2009

Franky Van Liedekerke <liedekef at telenet.be> writes:
>> And BTW, FSO-based distros should now support bluetooth headsets out
>> of the box, one needs to follow instructions from [1].
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Manually_using_Bluetooth#Once_Again.2C_Bluetooth_Headset_on_Freerunner
>
> I beg to differ, but if those instructions mean "out of the box", then
> all commandline things are "out of the box" as well. Commandline
> instructions are very nice, but when you're in a car and try to pair
> with the car bluetooth, this is not practical at all. You need a gui
> there...

You Qtopia guys seem to have a quite unusual (for a unix hackers) POV
;)

Framework already supports BT headsets. The fact GUI is missing shows
the lack of interest from end-users, well, i think it'll change soon.

> Also, the person that wrote that wiki says "However, I couldn't get an
> actual voice over it, just crackling". If this is no longer true,
> somebody should change it.

Somebody should finally try to use this support and report the
findings. Of course, Jan, who wrote the code, tried it and it worked
for him. And BTW please take into account it seems that not all
headsets are compatible with BT chip we use (at least it was the case
some time ago, i guess i need to try again with my not-working headset
and latest bluez and bluetooth-testing kernel branch).

mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com