Compatibility between deb and opkg (Was: Ain't it funny..)

Marcel tanuva at googlemail.com
Wed May 6 23:07:04 CEST 2009

Am Mittwoch, 6. Mai 2009 00:33:12 schrieb Rask Ingemann Lambertsen:
> On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 01:31:47PM +0200, Pander wrote:
> > For better compatability between deb and opkg, I am still in favour
> > of using the debian/ubuntu categories in opkg. See this thread from
> > December:
> > http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2008-December/038472.ht
> >ml and
> > http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2008-December/038546.ht
> >ml
>
>    A significant incompatibility is that deb uses architectures 'armel'
> and 'any' while opkg uses 'armv4t' and 'all'. AFAIK there is no way of
> specifying to dpkg/apt that they are equivalent.

Provided my assumption that debian has _way_ more packages then
angstrom/$opkg-based, one could change the default arch of opkg packages.
But this would need support from all parties, not just us. The technical
part could be reduced to:
- extract package
- do some sed-magic to replace armv4t/all by armel/any
- compress package again

Am I missing something significant? :D
Of course reality isn't as simple as that, but it sounds so comfortable...

--
Marcel