How to use Google Map on tangoGPS

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Fri May 8 13:46:31 CEST 2009

Fernando Martins wrote:
> Joseph Reeves wrote:
>> I've found that it's very enjoyable to travel somewhere not on OSM and
>> add it later ;-) SHR + TangoGPS seems stable enough, and kind enough
>> on the battery, to let me walk around for a whole day (or rather, walk
>> as much as I'd want to in a day) and log everywhere I go.
>>
> How about quality of data, I mean, for instance if you have to backtrack
> in a road, will you have to delete the log and restart all over? How

This is not how it works. You don't turn a tracklog directly into a OSM
street, so this problem is avoided.

1. Walk around, with gps tracking on.
2. Using one of several possible apps, display the track on the PC,
    and download whatever OSM data there is for the region already.
3. So now you see some OSM data (if there were any) and your gps track
    on the screen. The next step then, is to draw roads using your track
    as a guideline. You will see where you backtracked, but you will of
    course draw that road only once. Your track will curve at
    intersections, but if you remember that the roads met at 90 degrees,
    then you draw them that way.
4. You also add any other information that you remember or wrote down.
    Such as street names, type of road, and so on. If you had several
    logs, then you just load all of them at the same time and draw
    more road lines.

> Essentially I'm trying to understand how burdensome (or not) it can
> become for a simple sightseeing to also do tracking.

OSM mapping isn't complicated. You decide how much time you want to
spend on it. You can draw just roads, roads with names, or even add all
sorts of features like mailboxes, housenumbers, parks, parking lots...
If drawing road lines becomes too much of a burden for you, just upload
the traces to osm and hope that someone else will use them for drawing.
A problem with this approach is that others won't know how the track was
recorded, so they might make a wrong road where you crossed a lawn and
things like that.

Helge Hafting