Finger friendly keyboards

Jon Levell openmoko at coralbark.net
Fri May 8 23:21:50 CEST 2009

Hi,

So far on my FR, I've mostly been typing non-dictionary words so the
predictive keyboard has been getting in my way. I knew a few people
had created finger friendly keyboards so I had a bit of a play.

Firstly I tried EasyTouch_SHR:
http://www.opkg.org/package_174.html
But like many of the commenters on that page, it didn't work for me,
first it altered my theme but also (as I didn't remove my other
keyboards I suspect), all the keys on the keyboards overlapped each
other.

Then I tried Michal Brzozowski's keyboard:
http://markmail.org/message/ufdue7qhlfjwabkn
but I didn't like the design decision to design it around flexing
the case.

I started to create my own (which I may still do) but found if I
just used the keyboard files from the EasyTouch_SHR it worked
basically as I wanted.

I just put the keyboard files (.kbd) from and the package into
/usr/lib/enlightenment/modules/illume/keyboards (and moved the Default
and Numbers keyboards to a backup directory).

It's work very nicely on a recent SHR-Testing - maybe the keyboard
files could be hosted separately or even better a minimal package
could be made that just automated that.

Has anyone else tried this?

Jon.