[Announce] Intel and Nokia announce open source telephony project (oFono)

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Tue May 12 11:30:04 CEST 2009

(Private note: I have this strange sense of Deja Vu :-), although it's been a
long time since we had this argument :-)

On Tuesday 12 May 2009 02:56:12 Lorn Potter wrote:
> Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> > Yeah,
> >
> > that's pretty sad. They should have picked FSO or even Pyneo or at least
> > something that is already in development for quite a while. This way it
> > looks like NIH syndrome.
>
> kettle calling the pot black...
> I always thought one of open source's strengths was choice.

What sounds like an asset is a liability thanks to fragmentation. I'd rather
chose among few great options than lots of medicre ones.

> > Until now, trying to co-work with these guys typically went like "yeah,
> > you can take our APIs, if you want. No, we don't want to look at yours,
> > thanks.".
>
> This is partly due to the fact that they planned the roadmap forward in
> years, not weeks or months, not to mention the waterfall development style
> they are probably using.
>
> It might have been developed internally for quite some time before this.

Which doesn't make me more confident in their ability to shape the platform
APIs _together_ with the application developers as opposed to merely impose it
on them. If it continues to be like that, FSO has a bright life.

> > In contrast to that, FSO rather embraces application developer's
> > requests.
> >
> > Lets see what happens this time.
>
> You tell me, is Nokia opening up and really embracing open source?
> http://qt.gitorious.org/qt

That's Qt and they have inherited this style from Trolltech.

The way Nokia has developed Maemo it was always about take it or leave it the
way it is.

Open source does not necessarily mean an open development process, you should
know that better than me :)

Cheers,

:M: