[SHR-testing] do i need to reflash

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Wed May 13 02:11:53 CEST 2009

2009/5/13 ivvmm <unachievable at gmail.com>:
> In order to upgrade my distribution to the bleeding edge did opkg

-unstable is allegedly bleeding edge, -testing is supposedly one step
more stable. ymmv

> update; opkg upgrade and received many messages about one package owning
> files of another one and thus not upgrading that package.

what was the package, and what were the errors? if you run opkg
upgrade again, does it give the same error?

> Have found many messages about that users in order to upgrade they need
> to reflash. Is that true? So serious. Do we need to reflash?

not necessarily; i did an upgrade and my phone is running...err, ok. i
knew about the problems before i ran upgrade though, and prepared for
them

are you signed up to the shr-user ml? that has discussions and info
that are not on om-community regarding this and other stuff

> What should we backup? Only /home/root or something else? Will
> /media/card be affected by the reflashed distro?

it shouldn't touch the sd card, if you're installing to flash

depends what you've changed - if there are are some customised files
outside ~, then you may want to back those up too