GSM firmware upgrade is recommended for everybody (was: Re: [shr-testing] sim not recognised)

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Fri May 15 09:15:03 CEST 2009

Robin Paulson <robin.paulson at gmail.com> writes:
> 2009/5/15 Rask Ingemann Lambertsen <rask at sygehus.dk>:
>> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 11:37:17AM +1200, Robin Paulson wrote:
>>> what's happening, is there anything i can do to further debug things?
>>
>>   GSM firmware revision? Have you flashed the moko11 version yet?
>>
>> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/GSM/Flashing
>
> yeah, i thought about that. i was hoping to avoid it - more potential
> for a fubar than i like.

If you read the wiki page in question you'll see that there's no
potential to fubar unless you really dedicated to do it.

GSM firmware upgrade is strongly recommended for everybody anyway
(that's not official OM-the-company position, that's just my humble
opinion; though everybody can just look at the wiki page, the
changelog to see that it's true): sooner or later you'll get a new SIM
which won't work with moko8, that's the first reason. The second is
that moko11 includes some important fixes related to resume on
incoming call and it finally implements hardware flow control
properly.

Hardware flow control is even more important for GTA01
owners as their SoC has small UART buffers that are easily overrun.

For those GTA02 owners uncomfortable with cli (why are there any in OM
community anyway?) Joerg prepared a uSD image that works flawlessly,
just dd it to your uSD (to the whole uSD, not to the partition!) and
it'll do everything needed automatically. GTA01 owners still have to
use the manual instructions.

mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com